Author: Mike Date Posted:18 June 2013
· On average, a burglary results in a dollar loss of about $2,600.
· About 30 percent of all burglaries are classified as "unlawful entry," meaning the burglar was able to gain entry without using force — often through an unlocked door or window.
· Nearly 66 percent of all burglaries are residential, and of those, 62 percent occur during the daytime. Most burglaries occur between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., when no one is likely to be at home.
· Renters are more likely to be the victims of property crime than homeowners.
· Only 13 percent of reported burglaries are solved, or "cleared," by the police.
· Nearly 85 percent of all burglaries occur in large metropolitan areas.
· Only about 15 percent of property stolen in burglaries is recovered by the police.
· The highest percentage of burglaries occur during the summer months of December and January, when most people are away on holiday.
· About 30 percent of private homes have security systems. Homes without security systems (and CCTV cameras Brisbane) are two to three times more likely to be broken into.